Soup is universally loved and the ultimate comfort food. Nearly every cuisine in the world has soup as a dish that is served on a daily basis. Many soup recipes can be made in minutes, with just a few ingredients, creating a comforting meal that few other dishes can match. Soups can be savory or sweet, thick or thin, hearty or light.
Herbal soup is very popular among the Chinese. It is believed to be highly nutritional and has been used to boost one’s body energy. It is taken warmth and very tasty if it is cooked well. Ingredients such as winter melons, ginger, herbs, etc are commonly used in making the soup. Some soups need to be heated for a period of time to allow the herbs to release its nutrients.
Black Chicken Herbal Soup
Guo Qi Zi (Goji / Chinese Wolfberries)
Hong Zao (Dried Red Dates)
Fresh Huai Shan (Chinese Yam Root/Burdock Root)
Burdock Root or Chinese Yam Root Soup
200g of lean pork ribs, blanched
200g fresh Huai Shan (鲜淮山), peeled, thinly sliced, and blanched
1 ear of fresh corn, cob broken into half
6 – 8 pieces of seedless red dates
1 pot of water, 50% filled (about 1000ml)
1) Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add in pork ribs, red dates, sweet corn, and fresh Huai Shan.
2) Bring all ingredients to a boil again. Reduce heat to low fire, and simmer for 30 – 40 minutes. Cover pot with lid. Add salt to taste.
3) When all ingredients are cooked till tender, heat off. Serve hot.
JAPANESE MISO SOUP
1) Black Chicken, Silkie: Richer in protein as compare to the “white” chicken.
2)Chicken soup relieves coughs and sore throats because the gentle heat from the soup improves blood circulation.
3)Vegetable soup helps to detox toxin in the body. it also provide more nutrients, eliminate toxins and excess fats from the body and may give dieters more energy.
4) Common Chinese soup ingredients like carrot, potato and Chinese yam provide excellent source of carbohydrates while pork, poultry, eggs, provide proteins.
5) Burdock root has been used for purifying blood stream, and to neutralize and eliminate poisons in the system.
6) Goji Berries reinforce the glands which are accountable for producing energy, muscle enlargement and restore — the adrenals, thymus, pituitary and thyroid. In addition, as an adaptogen, goji berries motivate the regeneration of muscles.
7) Miso is a seasoning that is made using fermented rice, barley, soybeans and salt. Miso is a paste used to make soups, stew and sauces. its benefits helps to reduce and slow the signs of aging.
8)Dashi is a basic stock used in Japanese cooking which is made by boiling dried kelp (seaweed) and dried bonito (fish). Instant dashi powder is also available at stores.